About Me

I am just an average mom trying to find ways to sneak in "me time" when I really don't have any time to spare. I have an amazing 2 year old, a houseful of pets, a part-time job, and a husband to take care of. I also have anxiety disorder, hence the title of my blog. Crafting has always helped me reduce stress, and this blog is a further attempt at staying on track and taking better care of myself.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Going greener, or trying to.

I was able to do quite a bit of sewing last night.  I finished my tote bag, which is an audition of a free pattern to see if I wanted to use it to make a bunch of grocery bags.  It's cute, as long as you don't look at it too closely!


I am still undecided whether I want to make more of these - the bags are very easy and fast, but lack the structure I was hoping for.  But, a more structured bag will take longer to make.  Such a conundrum.  I have a couple of students who are baggers at the grocery store; I may ask them to give me their opinions.

I decided to make a few big bags for my recycling.  I currently try to re-use plastic garbage bags, but they only last 2 or 3 trips.  I measured off a kitchen garbage bag, cut up an old sheet, and viola!


I really like this!  I will make 3 to start with, but one queen flat sheet could probably make 4-5.  I don't usually let my recycling pile up, so I think 3 will probably be enough for me.  It's all I can fit in my little car anyway!  I do think I will make a more durable tote bag for glass bottles since they are so heavy. 

I also kept working on my scrap block, obviously made from pieces leftover from my walker bag project.  It's coming along nicely and is even still somewhat square.  For now.  I still have a few more strips to add.


I also worked on the counting beanbags a little.  I got the fabric all cut, and then decided they would be too flimsy with just one layer of fabric.  So I am making a little muslin inner bag for the beans:


And here is the fabric I am using for the beanbags, and the numbers all cut out. 




I just love this fabric, but I know not everybody is a fan of orange so I texted this picture to the recipient of the eventual beanbags to get her opinion.  Luckily she loved it, because I had already cut out all the numbers!

I also decided on the tote bag I will make to go along with the counting beanbags - this super cute "bagsket" I found on another blog called Foofanagle.  She hasn't been active in nearly 2 years but she makes some really cute stuff and has a baby about the same age as mine, so I am hoping to see more of her soon!   http://foofanagle.wordpress.com/2007/06/26/bagsket-tutorial/

I am realizing that I have project ADD.  I cannot sit and work on just one thing.  I had 3 things going last night, and I prefer to work that way.  Am I the only one that does this?

>S<

No comments:

Post a Comment